SUMMER ALARM

HOT blustery weather and a fierce blaze on a rural property at San Remo has claimed its first victims of the summer fire season when a car and a shed were engulfed in flames last Saturday afternoon, December 1.
The owner of the 2001 model Ford Escape that caught fire, sending up a huge pall of black smoke into the sky at about 3pm, and her nine-year-old daughter, are safe but they’ve lost the car, some recently purchased horse feed and their farm shed which doubled as a garage and storage area for the horses, Eliza and Lu-Lu.
“The firies haven’t been able to tell us what happened. They can pinpoint where the fire started, around the car, but whether it was an electrical fault, or some hay and chaff that caught fire under the hot car, we don’t know,” said Cherree Tonkin, who has lived at the property for about 18 years.
“It was a big shock. The fire took hold so quickly.”
Mother and daughter had just been shopping for groceries and horse feed, backed the car into the shed and taken the food inside the house when they came out to see the car already ablaze.
Driven on by a rising northeasterly wind, flames had completely filled the car and shed within a few minutes, sending flames hundreds of feet into the air.

To get the full story subscribe to our digital edition: http://sgst.com.au/ezine-publication/