Wattlebank-accident_1914The aftermath Wednesday’s fatal crash at Wattle Bank where the impact forced both cars off the road and onto the adjacent bank. J031914. J041914 Emergency services survey the damage of Wednesday’s collision at the intersection of Lynns Road and Korumburra-Inverloch Road.

A 65 year-old woman was killed and a 51 year-old woman remains in a critical condition following a two car collision in Wattle Bank on Wednesday afternoon. The collision occurred at approximately 1.15pm at the intersection of Lynns Road and Korumburra-Inverloch Road. Barbara Ball died at the scene and her passenger, Debbie O’Halloran, has undergone lifesaving surgery and remains in the intensive care unit of the Alfred Hospital. Sergeant Jason Hullock from the Bass Coast Highway Patrol said the women were travelling east on Lynns Road when they approached the intersection of Inverloch-Kongwak Road. “We believe that the two ladies were heading to Inverloch for an appointment and were turning right towards Inverloch. “For one reason or another, the driver has failed to give way to an oncoming vehicle heading north towards Kongwak and they have collided,” Sgt Hullock said. With significant impact to the driver’s side of the small car, it is believed Ms Ball died on impact when the car collided with a Toyota Hilux towing a tradesman’s trailer. “The driver of the Toyota Hilux, a 33 year-old male from Korumburra, had some lower leg injuries, maybe a broken leg and some other injuries that certainly weren’t life threatening,” Sgt Hullock said. “He was taken by road ambulance to Wonthaggi Hospital.” A Facebook page has been started for people willing to track the progress and to remain updated on Ms O’Halloran’s recovery. The ‘Debbie O’Halloran Recovery’ page reported some positive signs on Saturday. “Deb has been taken off the critical list and although dangerously sick, shows a few positive signs,” it stated. “She has many broken bones mainly down her right side including ankle, knee, femur, hip and ribs. Her leg has been operated on and her ankle will be next. “Deb has had a small bleed in her brain and has some swelling there which is being closely monitored.” Police remained on scene for about four hours with Lynns Road and Korumburra-Inverloch Road reopened shortly before 5pm. Sgt Hullock said investigations into the circumstances of the collision were continuing. “We are interested in speaking to any witnesses who may have seen any of the vehicles involved prior to the collision,” Sgt Hullock said. “The conditions always form part of our investigation and it’s one of those intersections that unfortunately, there are a lot of them in across the state, where there is bush areas and tress and they might not be ideal.” Police are urging motorists to take extra care on our roads following the collision. “It’s a timely reminder to be very vigilant on the road and when approaching intersections. Please make sure you stop, look and double check for oncoming traffic – there is a stop sign there for a reason,” Sgt Hullock said. “Unfortunately no intersections are perfect. We will assess that as we go through but there will be some safety recommendations that we will make which we are always trying to do at a lot of intersections.”