mdu-emerges-from-the-mud-with-a-winMDU’s Jack Fisher gets his handball away but after half time, play resembled a rolling maul between the half back lines as both Tarwin and MDU struggled to score. M332714

THERE was plenty of feeling in the MDU versus Tarwin match at Meeniyan on Saturday with several skirmishes breaking out across the day and some of the best ‘hits’ and tackles would ever want to see in a game of Aussie rules.
It was no place for the feint hearted as any player who got the ball was absolutely hammered, especially late in the match, when play resembled a mud-wrestling match more so than a game of footy.
But that was the case right across the weekend as local grounds were turned into lakes and old fashioned quagmires by upwards of 50mm of rain, much of which fell on the day.
Getting a score on the board, with the dry ball was what it was all about, and the first quarter started in enthralling style with MDU putting on four goals to Tarwin’s two.
From there on, the likes of Ben Thomas, who was a tower of strength at centre half back for the Demons, along with his fellow defenders made it tough for a willing Tarwin to score as they managed just two goals for the rest of the game.
Joel Sinclair continued his fine form of late to be in everything across half back. Matt Robbins on the ball played very well and Tim Wightman was a good contributor up forward, although he might easily have added to his goal stats after missing one from close range in comical circumstances.
But that was the conditions as players struggled to make good contact with the ball either by hand or foot.
Kel Hutcheson on a wing was tireless for the cause with much of the action forced wide to the boundaries. Matt Harris and Adam Thorne also revelled in the conditions to bring off a memorable win for MDU.
For Tarwin, Ben Chalmers, Jamie Cann, Hayden Browne, Travis Cameron, Nick Browne and Brenton Byrnes were named in their best with Paul McRae kicking two of the team’s four goals but once again, the Sharks were off target, especially during a dominant third term when they could easily have taken the initiative in the match.
It’s interesting to note that the game was over, mercifully early at 4.05pm, allowing supporters to get into the warm clubrooms to enjoy some convivial fellowship before it got too gloomy outside.
Final score MDU 7.4.46 to Tarwin 4.7.31.