two-in-a-row-for-breakersThat’s two flags in a row for Phillip Island Breakers. The team includes, back from left, Luciano Scarlato, Andre Hetebueg, Chris Barnes, Stuart Davis, Jake Paulding, Fybian Chakaodza, Mitch Ryan, Stewart Bathgate, Dean Fak. Front, Thomas Morgan, Josh Green, Paul McCluskey, Geoff Russell, Tim Van Weysberg and Daren Dempsey. D013614.

THE Phillip Island Breakers will be looking for a hat-trick in 2015 after winning their second flag in a row.
Up against fierce rivals in Drouin, the game was exciting from the very first kick-off.
In just the fifth minute, Phillip Island was already on the board from a goal by Dean Fak after Island striker Chris Barnes drew out at least two defenders before passing the ball off to an unmarked Fak.
Drouin’s reply wasn’t the prettiest piece of football – Phillip Island’s keeper Josh Green collided with his teammate Stewart Bathgate and the ball was deflected in.
Drouin was energised by the goal and determined to show its place in the grand final wasn’t due to a fluky shot; Nick Woodson, Dan Brown and Caleb Hotchkin showed why they’re part of the strongest midfield in the league, turning their opponents inside out.
This style of football frustrated the Breakers, and the game became more physical – a penalty awarded to Woodson after a rough tackle by Mitch Ryan; Hotchkin made the conversion, giving Drouin a one-goal buffer.
Phillip Island struggled to regain its control, and Drouin took advantage, taking its time to set up plays with its strong possession game. Drouin mostly used a long ball game, Matt Lyne in particular linking up well with Hotchkin.
Island’s keeper Green was keeping the Breakers in the game, but it only looked a matter of time till Drouin found the net again.
After half time it was Barnes that lifted, passing at the halfway line to a sprinting Paul McCluskey and with the sun in the Drouin’s keepers’ eyes, the score was back to 2-2.
Phillip Island had the chance to take the lead again with a penalty, but the shot was batted away.
The last 30 minutes of the game rained goals in a highly entertaining match for the many spectators.
Tim Van Weysberg sprinted down the left wing and in a one-on-one with the keeper skimmed the ball into the bottom right corner.
Only eight minutes later, a cross in from Luciano Scarlato was finished off by Fak for his second.
Drouin responded almost immediately – almost a mirror image of the goal before – a cross finding Brown.
But the Breakers had the last laugh, Mitch Ryan stealing the ball off the Drouin defence and smashing his shot into the net having caught everyone off guard and sealing the win 5-3.