It was an all-the-way win at Stony Creek for the locally trained Prima Voce with Dani Walker in the saddle. M460115
THE inaugural New Year’s Day meeting at Woolamai last Thursday was a winner on all fronts for locals.
The Woolamai and District Racing Club hosted a bumper crowd of 2300 people, several local community groups raised important funds and local trainers won three of the six events.
And starting the day off in style was the local training and riding duo of Ricky Maund and Adam Bodey who brought home the day’s first two winners, Soldier’s Image in the first (now a winner of four out of 12 starts) and the Tale of Aver (which won its first of six starts).
And Maree Aplin of Bass trained the winner of the fourth race, Prima Voce, delighted with the five year old bay mare’s first victory after 12 starts.
Also on the day, Stony Creek trainer, Tabitha Cunningham received plenty of encouragement when Coolscay chased Prima Voce home for a creditable second place.
And generally it was a good day for punters with favourites winning four of the six races and the second favourites the other two.
Club secretary Bev Carmichael couldn’t have been happier with the result.
“The weather was perfect for the day and we had a big, happy crowd in and not an ounce of trouble.
“Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the day and they told us it was the ideal thing to do after their celebrations the night before, although some people actually saved themselves for the day.”
Mrs Carmichael said the club provided buses and underscored the drink-drive message with the running of the ‘Only a little over’ trophy race for the TAC.
The next race meeting is coming up at Woolamai on Saturday, January 17, an event that will feature plenty of entertainment for the kids as well with the ‘Kelly Sports’ crew in attendance.
The marquees are already booked out so it looks set to be another big one.
Then comes the Woolamai Cup on Saturday, February 7, followed by racing on February 21 and March 14.
• Race 1 New Year’s Day Open Trophy Handicap (1008 METRES): 1st 1. SOLDIER’S IMAGE trainer Ricky Maund, jockey Adam Bodey $2.25 (fav), 2nd 3. KING HENRY Michael Kent, Michael R Kent, 3rd 2. BEMARYDAN John Kilgower, Toby Lake.
• Race 2 Woolamai Volunteers Maiden Plate (1008 METRES): 1st 2. THE TALE OF AVER trainer Ricky Maund, jockey Adam Bodey $2 (fav), 2nd 1. SALESTIAL Karen Walker, Ms Dani Walker, 3rd 3. THUNDERBALL Karen Strong, Michael R Kent.
• Race 3 Trimmer Tree Trophy Handicap (1008 METRES): 2. SOUTHERLY GRACE trainer Mark Thomas, jockey Ms Courtney Pace, 2nd 1. ONCE Trevor Rogers Adam Bodey, 3rd 3. AURELII Michael R Kent Michael R Kent.
• Race 4 George Bass Hotel Maiden Plate (1508 METRES): 1st 4. PRIMA VOCE trainer Maree Aplin, jockey Ms Dani Walker $1.90 (fav), 2nd 2. COOLSCAY Tabitha Cunningham Ms Courtney Pace, 3rd 1. BRICKWALL John Kilgower Toby Lake.
• Race 5 Cowes Branch Open Trophy Handicap (1508 METRES): 5. HERE’S TO A KING trainer John Slater, jockey Ms Courtney Pace, 2nd 1. YOLANDA BE COOL Dean Howard Adam Bodey, 3rd PHANTOM FLIGHT Reg & Alec Manning Ms Peta Tait.
• Race 6 ‘Only a Little Bit Over’ Trophy (1) Handicap (1708 METRES): 2. IMMORTAL FIRE trainer Trevor Rogers, jockey Ms Debbie Waymouth, 2nd 6. SOLDIER’S MARCH Maree Aplin Ms Dani Walker, 3rd 7. SWISS FLYER John Kilgower Mr Toby Lake.