shingler-street-seigePolice officers swarm on the man after he surrendered, emerging from a shed which he had set alight, causing minor burns to his body. C030315.

By Ash’lee Charlton

A TENSE stand-off between police and a man threatening to self-harm and blow-up a shed in Leongatha has ended with the 33 year-old suffering burns before surrendering.
The drama, which saw the closure of Shingler Street for several hours, began to unfold around midday last Wednesday.
On receiving information about the disturbance, police arrived at the address to find the man at the property, despite an Intervention Order being in place prohibiting him visiting the address.
He had barricaded himself in a tin shed, detached from the main residence and was making verbal threats from inside.
Leongatha Police Sergeant Dale McCahon said officers were able to make contact with the man but he was “irrational and uncooperative.”
“The man made several threats to cause an explosion in the shed,” Sgt McCahon.
Shingler Street, between Dale and Gibson Streets was immediately cordoned off in the interest of public safety. Residents in a neighbouring property were also evacuated.
“We called for extra police including the Critical Incident Response Team,” Sgt McCahon said.
“Police maintained communication with the man throughout the incident, with 15 officers in attendance.”
At around 2.30pm, things escalated when the man set fire to the shed.

“The fire quickly engulfed the whole shed,” Sgt McCahon said.
Black smoke could be seen billowing from the property, with officers rushing toward the nature strip.
Shortly after, up to eight police officers swarmed on the man, who had emerged from the burning shed, taking him to the ground before he was handcuffed and moved to the opposite side of the road.
“After a short period of time, the male has come out of the shed and was coaxed toward the police,” Sgt McCahon said.
“He was arrested at the scene and was suffering minor burns from the fire.
“He was then conveyed to the Latrobe Regional Hospital for treatment and a psychological assessment.”
The man remains there under police guard.
CFA crews including HAZMAT arrived at the scene shortly after, bringing the blaze under control.
No police officers or emergency service crews were injured during the incident.
Despite reports that there were children present in the home at the time of the incident, Sgt McCahon confirmed this was not the case.
“His partner and children live at the home and she was notified by text message that he was there,” he said.
“She came home and spoke to police and assisted us, but they fortunately had not been home at the time.
“They were not in harm’s way at any stage.”
The incident is now being investigated by detectives from the Bass Coast Criminal Investigations Unit, with the man expected to be charged with offences in relation to arson and Breach of Intervention Order.
Shingler Street remained closed for three and-a-half hours, with residents living on the top side of the street and in the new housing estate forced to take the 7km trip via the South Gippsland Highway and Sages and Logans Road to reach their homes.

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or BeyondBlue 1300 22 4636.