THE South Gippsland Shire Council has set aside $54,000 in its 2015-16 Budget to prepare a new streetscape plan for Korumburra based on the 2013 work carried out as part of the Korumburra Town Centre Framework Plan.
The new streetscape plan is to be started soon and for those interested, they might like to refresh their memories about what was contained in the original framework plan.
Hopefully we are getting closer to seeing some action on revitalising the Korumburra town centre.
For example, the streetscape design might include some of the following suggestions made by Hansen Partnership Pty Ltd in its Korumburra Town Centre Framework Plan for the top of Little Commercial Street and Bridge Street (see illustration):
- Improved pedestrian crossing at bridge street with extended median planting and kerb outstands
- New surface treatment to highlight Town Centre entries (between King and John Streets)
- Re- configure intersection of Bridge Street, South Gippsland Highway and Little Commercial Street
- New public open space with opportunities for public art view frames to distant hills. Public park to include shade shelter, hardscape surfaces, softscape surfaces, cafe spill-out space, seating and tree shade.
- Proposed location for entrance artwork to Korumburra Town Centre. Avenue tree planting along Bridge Street. Refer to Street Landscaping Concept Plan for recommended Species.
- Avenue tree planting along Little Commercial Street Refer to Street Landscaping Concept Plan for recommended Species.
- Opportunity for Accent Tree. Refer to Street Landscaping Concept Plan for recommended Species.
- Pocket parks along Little Commercial street near pedestrian crossings – Pocket Parks to include shade shelter, lawn, seating, public art view frames of distant hills and tree shade.
- Development opportunity to provide active uses and interfaces to Little Commercial Street.
Copy and past this link to go to the Korumburra Town Centre Framework Plan (October 2013):