If showing from MDU against Kilcunda/Bass has resurrected the Demon season.
In what was a thrilling senior clash at Meeniyan, the home side managed to thwart a number of late onslaughts from the desperate Panthers outfit to emerge two point victors.
The early stages of the contest were more fruitful for the visitors with a couple of young Panther forwards impressing in the first quarter. Strapping key forward Dakin was the first to register a major with a magical effort from the boundary, while young ex-Demon Carroll also managed to score a nice goal against his old side.
At quarter time the Panthers held a 16 point lead over the Demons who matched the Panthers in general play, but too often missed targets going forward.
The second quarter saw a slight shift in the momentum of the game as the Demons midfield started to win more of the contested play.
Big bodied midfielder Ampt was starting to really influence the game however unfortunately for the home side, they were somewhat wasteful with their shots at goal.
For the Panthers, Endres was struck by leather poisoning again as he amassed countless midfield touches while Miller was strong up forward to ensure they maintained a lead in excess of two goals at the major break.
The panic button may have been struck in the Demon camp early in the third as the boys from Bass extended the half time lead.
Miller was still looking strong up forward and pumped through his third for the game to have the MDU faithful worried.
However, a changed focus when heading forward from the Demons helped force yet another shift in momentum in what was a see-sawing contest.
In his first senior outing for season 2015, big power forward Nathan Roberts began to provide a strong contest inside 50 and if not marking it himself, helped bring the ball to ground for the elusive types in Curtis and McDermott to feast on.
By the siren, the Demons had hit the front, holding a two point advantage with a quarter to play.
The final quarter was anyone’s game with players of both sides barrelling in to get the ball.
The lethal long leg of Edwards loomed large for the Panthers as he gained valuable metres for his team, while the fleet footed MDU movers were utilising a swift handling game in space to move the footy.
The big play of the game came with about five minutes left as Roberts marked strongly in a forward 50 contest and converted to give the Demons what turned out to be a match-winning goal.
The game was not done yet though as the Panthers surged yet again and mounted a number of menacing forward thrusts, only to be denied by the likes of Sinclair, Thomas and lastly Ryan Olden who despite being drastically outsized, produced a game-saving spoil with just seconds left.