A LOCAL football club and the wider community is in mourning following the sudden death of Kongwak teen Luke Bolding over the weekend.
The 18 year-old was involved in a horror head-on collision whilst driving back towards Bass Coast after playing in Dalyston’s Reserves side on Saturday afternoon.
Wonthaggi Police Senior Sergeant Steve Gibson said a semi-trailer loaded with hay bales was travelling on Meeniyan-Promontory Road when it collided with a Ute, driven by the teen, travelling west.
Snr Sgt Gibson said it appeared the Ute had veered over double lines to the wrong side of the road on a sweeping right hand bend before colliding with the truck at around 4.45pm.
He said the 18 year-old was killed instantly, while driver of the semi-trailer, a 65 year-old man from Fish Creek, was left shaken but uninjured.
Bass Coast Highway Patrol is still investigating the accident.
Sergeant Jason Hullick confirmed police are looking into whether driver distraction played a role in the incident.
He added that toxicology reports were yet to be finalised, but police did not anticipate drugs or alcohol played a role.
The main road was closed for over five hours as emergency services cleared the scene.
News of the well-known teen’s death sent shockwaves throughout South Gippsland late Saturday.
Friends, family and colleagues took to social media to pay countless tributes.
The Sentinel-Times understands details of the tragedy filtered through to Dalyston club members who had returned to the Fish Creek club rooms after being turned around in their vehicles at the police road block.
It is believed players, trainers and other club associates then travelled in a convoy via South Gippsland Highway and on to Dalyston, where they grieved together into the night.
Dalyston Football Club President Paul Dunlop remembered Luke as “a quiet, likeable kid who just loved his footy”.
“He always gave 110 per cent and was very popular with everyone,” he said.
He said Luke had just begun his career as a livestock agent with Alex Scott and Staff’s Korumburra office a few short months ago.
“He had been wanting to do that since he was a little tacker, just like his Dad,” Mr Dunlop said.
“He grew up around clearing sales and markets.”
Police are preparing a report for the coroner.