SO YOU have worked hard with your builder and finally selected the new home you love.
Everything is on track and the time has come to review your floor plans.
Any errors at this point can be costly and difficult to live with later. Once you receive your plans it is important to review them both with your builder and in your own time.
A few common issues found on floor plans are often quick fixes once identified.
• Lighting – The location of light switches is very important. Try to imagine your nightly routine and run through it on the floor plan. Are the light switch locations convenient, or have you found yourself stumbling half way through the house in the dark?
• Storage – You can never have enough storage. You will need all of it and more. Think about all your current possessions and mentally put them away in your new home. If you don’t have enough space, your builder will always have some great tips on where to add an extra cupboard or how to avoid a cluttered home.
• Kitchen storage – Kitchen storage is perhaps the most important area to organise in the entire house. Not only do you need to work out where all the appliances and cookware must go, but it must be done in a convenient way. Run through the way in which you would cook your favourite meal, and ensure everything is located in an orderly fashion and not too far out of reach. Pots and pans next to the stove, plates and cutlery near the dishwasher.
• Room usage – While a room may look amazing on the plan, practical applications need to be considered. If you are not really going to be using that formal dining room it is wasted space. Utilise an unused room for some other means or omit it completely and extend other, more practical rooms. Try and imagine where your furniture will go and ensure there is enough space for it, then adjust the room size if possible.
• Power outlets – Power outlets need to be readily available. Make sure you consider where all major appliances will be including mounted air-conditioning units, kitchen appliances, televisions, music systems and bathroom appliances to ensure there is enough power to go around.
Ultimately your floor plan should be designed to suit your lifestyle in the most convenient manner possible.
Check and check again with your builder that everything is as you want it and never be afraid to ask questions.
For more information visit Hotondo Homes offices at Level 1, 107 Marine Parade (Cnr Wynne Road) San Remo, or Shop 2 Ramsey Boulevard, Inverloch.
Alternatively, contact your local Hotondo Homes builder on 1800 677 156 or visit www.hotondo.com