THE State Government has secured the long-term future of our flagship motorsports events at Phillip Island.
Minister for Tourism and Major Events John Eren announced on Sunday the Labor Government had locked away the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix until 2026 and the Australian round of the FIM Superbike World Championship until 2027.
“Our motorsports events at Phillip Island are flagship dates on our calendar, and they’re going nowhere,” Mr Eren said.
“Phillip Island will remain at the centre of world motorsport for many years to come.
“These events create a unique buzz around Phillip Island, attract visitors to Victoria from all over the globe, and show the world we have the best of everything.”
The MotoGP delivers a $48.5 million economic benefit to Victoria, while the FIM Superbike World Championship adds $20 million annually.
An estimated 85,000 spectators converged on Phillip Island for the 2015 Pramac Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix, while more than 42,000 turned out for the 2016 Superbikes.
It’s why the Bass Coast Shire Council estimates motorsports events on the Island are worth $107 million to the local economy.
Eastern Region MP Harriet Shing said the events keep Phillip Island’s bars, restaurants and hotels busy, and provide new opportunities for Gippsland’s tourism operators and small businesses.
“Thousands of motorsports fans from around the world flock to Phillip Island every year, and for good reason,” she said.
“It’s a great track, and competition is fierce.
“It’s fantastic that the excitement and adrenalin of these major events will be on show, with Gippsland’s beauty front and centre – inspiring many people to travel here and see the Island for themselves.”
DORNA chief executive Carmelo Ezpeleta was thrilled with the announcement.
“The Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix and the FIM Superbike World Championship have a strong history at Phillip Island, and have become part of the Island’s fabric.
“I am delighted the Victorian Government has decided to continue this longstanding, mutually beneficial relationship.”
The State Government has now locked away three of Victoria’s marquee motorsports events, after last year securing the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix until 2023.