THE changed traffic priorities will remain in place at the key Leongatha intersection of Koonwarra Road (South Gippsland Highway), Ogilvy Street and Long Street until traffic lights are erected there and switched on, possibly by the end of the month.
That’s the latest news from Vicroads as work on the $5.12 million project progresses on a number of fronts.
“The intersection continues to operate as a cross road with Ogilvy Street (Nerrena Road) having priority,” said Vicroads.
“Traffic approaching the intersection from Long Street and Koonwarra Road will need to stop or give way. This is an interim measure which will be in place until the traffic signals are switched on.
“We anticipate traffic signals will be operating by the end of August.”
Works planned for this week, weather permitting, include:
• Continuing with asphalting works at the southern end of Long Street, adjacent to the Medical Centre (up to a level 40mm below the final surface level), plus refreshing the linemarking in the intersection. This will be the final asphalting for some time until the final wearing course is laid when temperatures become warmer.
• Installing last of the conduits for traffic signal detector loops in Long Street.
• Standing the last of the light poles and traffic signal poles in the intersection of Koonwarra Road (South Gippsland Highway) and Ogilvy Street.
• Construction of concrete footpath at the south west corner of SGH/Koonwarra Rd/Ogilvy St, from the old kerb line to the new kerb.
• Completion of asphalt around the Hughes Street/ Roughead Street splitter island.
• Construction of new kerb and channel and subsoil drains around the hardware building, north end of Long Street, and construction of the adjacent central splitter island in Long Street. The part road closure of the northern end of Long Street needs to remain in place for two more weeks. Therefore the current detours need to remain
“We thank everyone for their understanding and cooperation with this part closure,” said a spokesperson for Vicroads.
Traffic lights soon for Leongatha crossroads