Today I am announcing that I am standing for re-election as a councillor for South Gippsland Shire Council.
I have had the good fortune to represent the Tarwin Valley Ward for the past eight years, including three years as Mayor.
I seek a further term to build on the substantial advances Council has either made or is progressing. In cooperation with other Councillors we have:
• Invested $900,000 towards improving the Leongatha Recreation Reserve
• Built the Leongatha Skate Park
• Doubled Recreation Reserve maintenance grants across the shire
• A rail trail from Leongatha to the sea
• Allocated $400,000 to the Mirboo North community for a direct say on how those funds are to be spent. This is part of a shire-wide commitment of $1.6 million across four communities.
• Revitalisation of the Leongatha CBD including the Bair Street streetscape, Leongatha entrance, railway land behind Bair Street and the Heavy Vehicle bypass which makes all this possible
• Secured funding for the Long Jetty.
• Additional funding for Arts and Culture.
All of this has been done with this year’s budget projecting the lowest rate rise for over 15 years.
I stand for sensible policy and planning outcomes, a stable, motivated and efficient organisation and a commitment to support a vibrant arts and cultural community which includes a dedicated performing arts centre in South Gippsland.
I will continue to work with other councillors to get things done and not just talk about them.
For over 30 years I have held voluntary roles in a number of community groups such as Gippsland Southern Health Service, Leongatha RSL, SG Splash, Leongatha Football Club, Leongatha Scouts, Leongatha Recreation Reserve and the former Latrobe Valley Football League now Gippsland Football League.
I have been a director of South Gippsland Water since 2007.
I am a Certified Practising Accountant and have conducted an accounting practice in Leongatha for over 30 years.
My children and grandchildren live locally. I love and am heavily invested in my community, I am not just passing through.
At election time I seek your vote to continue the good work.
Working with others to get things done.
Cr Jim Fawcett, Tarwin Valley Ward.
Cr Fawcett stands again