By Michael Giles
WONDERFUL news, on the eve of the Christmas holidays, for Korumburra and district, is the completion of the Karmai Community Children’s Centre.
And work has started, at last, on the redevelopment of the Bass Valley Children’s Centre at Corinella.
These are absolutely vital pieces of community and economic infrastructure that will have direct benefits, not only to the surrounding communities but also to the economy of the area, enabling more parents to get out to work, and families to have more disposable income.
They also create new employment opportunities.
These facilities contribute to the vibrancy of our local communities, boosting business and commerce in these areas.
In both cases, the local shire councils, South Gippsland and Bass Coast, need to be congratulated for their leadership and advocacy in securing the funding for these facilities.
But it’s also why the shires need to be moving heaven and earth within their own budgets to breakout further funding to develop the area’s infrastructure whether that be in support of tourism, business or the general community.
Projects like the redevelopment of the Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve with its netball, aquatic centre, basketball and other sports facilities are works that can’t wait in a growing community.
Phillip Island’s priorities also need to be addressed as well but where they are also catering to the massive pressure from tourism, they must have government support.
The shire councils have a big role to play in getting these projects going but we, as individuals in the community, also have a responsibility to support growth and development in our own towns and districts.
We do that by paying our rates. We can do it by volunteering to get involved in worthwhile groups and projects.
And, at this time of the year, we can do it by making a conscious effort to at least buy some of your Christmas gifts and supplies locally.
Shopping outside the area, and increasingly online is the threat but if we want the convenience, vitality and support of a sustainable local shopping centre – we must support them.
Shop locally at Christmas.
And get along to your local carols and Christmas events including:
• Inverloch: Friday, December 9, 7.30pm Christmas in the Glade
• Meeniyan: Friday, December 9 at the rec reserve
• Leongatha: Saturday, December 10 Community Carnival 10am-2pm
• Leongatha: Saturday, December 10, 5.30pm Carols at the Drome
• Grantville: Friday, December 16 at 7pm community hall
• Corinella: Friday, December 16 at 6.30pm foreshore rotunda
• San Remo: Friday, December 16 at 5pm foreshore
• Korumburra: Saturday, December 17 9am-12 noon Christmas in Korumburra
• Wonthaggi: Sunday, December 18, 6pm Carols in Apex Park
• Cowes: Tuesday, December 20, 5pm, Esplanade fireworks at 9.30pm
• Korumburra: Friday, December 23, 7.30pm Carols at the Creek