The Magpies’ Kainen Schrape manages to get the ball from the clearance and boot it towards the goals. mm193517

CORA Lynn has sent shockwaves through the West Gippsland finals, dismantling Dalyston by 55 points at Koo Wee Rup on Saturday.
In the inaugural qualifying final the Cobras went to work in a dominating display, reminding everyone why they won the last three grand finals in the old Ellinbank and District league.
Dalyston welcomed back captain Blake Carew and key defender Rhys Harrop to the side, but it wasn’t enough to stop a rampaging Cora Lynn.
Jai Rout struck first for the Cobras but was quickly answered with a goal from Dalyston forward Michael Kraska who was awarded a free kick right in front of goal.
This was followed by ten minutes of hard football, which is exactly what we have come to expect from these two sides.
Forward Ryan Gillis then marked for Cora Lynn 35 metres out from goal but could only manage a behind as his kick drifted right.
Dalyston then pounced with two quick goals to swingman Chris Samargis and Michael Kraska to take an early lead.
But it was short lived with back to back goals to Nathan Langley putting the Cobras back in control.
Right on the brink of quarter time Ryan Gillis was left unattended in the goal square where he marked and kicked truly to give the Cobras a seven point lead.
Cora Lynn hit the ground running in the second quarter with back to back goals to Rout who was clearly in terrific form early on.
Dalyston then started to use the ball better by foot and unleashed their runners, which led to a great coast to coast goal to Samargis.
However after Ryan Gillis nailed two goals in the space of three minutes and Jai Rout put through his fourth, the Cobras were firmly in the box seat.
Dalyston’s Brad Fisher then snuck home a goal right on the siren to bring the margin back to 29 points at half time.
Magpie captain Blake Carew was awarded a free kick 30 metres out from goal and kicked truly to get the third quarter underway.
But this was followed by a Cobras onslaught of six unanswered goals to really sink the boot into Dalyston.
Goals to Nathan Gillis, Nathan Langley, Jeremy Monckton, Travis Woodfield and two more to Jai Rout gave the Cobras a 57 point lead at three quarter time.
Again Carew slotted the first goal of the last quarter for Dalyston after a strong mark in the goal square.
Cora Lynn responded but Dalyston had found some momentum kicking the next three goals back to back.
Jimma Rosendale and Travis Krause both kicked solid goals on the run and a lovely pass from Chris Samargis set up Kraska 20 metres out.
Playing on instinct, Dalyston looked the best they had since the opening quarter.
But a goal to Jack Dalton at the 20 minute mark put to rest any hope of a miracle Magpie comeback, extending the Cobras lead to 43 points.
Ryan Gillis and Chris Johnson put the icing on the cake late in the last quarter to see the Cobras run out 55 point victors.
Cora Lynn now takes on Inverloch-Kongwak in the second semi-final at Nar Nar Goon on Saturday, while Dalyston have been left to lick their wounds and gear up for a tough clash with the in-form Phillip Islanders at Inverloch on Sunday.


Full football coverage in this weeks edition of the South Gippsland Sentinel-Times.
To subscribe to our digital edition: