THE Bass Coast Landcare Network, in conjunction with the Bass Coast Shire Council and the network’s local Landcare groups, was nominated for six awards at the Victorian Landcare Awards presented at Government House on Friday.
There were over 85 nominations for the 14 award categories and the nominations from Bass Coast included:
• Bass Coast Shire Council in the Partnerships Category
• Three Creeks Landcare Group in the Landcare Community Group Category
• The Environmental Detectives Schools Program Team in the Junior Landcare Team Category
• Bimbadeen Farm in the Innovations in Agricultural Land Management Category
• Derek Snowden of the Bass Coast Landcare Network Works Crew Team Leader for Young Landcare Leader Category
• Daryl and Marg Hook in the Excellence in Sustainable Farm Practices Category.
Bass Coast was lucky to walk away with two awards, Three Creeks Landcare Group received a Highly-Commended award for the Landcare Community Group Category and The Environmental Detectives Team received a Commended award in the Junior Landcare Team Category.
An excited busload of Landcare staff, councillors, Bass Coast Shire Council staff and Landcare members headed for Government House from Bass on a chilly morning and the conversations were constant all the way to Melbourne and continued upon arrival.
“We had a chance to chat with people from all over Victoria who had come together to share stories and celebrate achievements in partnerships, innovation, education and passion for the Landcare cause,” Bass Coast Landcare Network’s Education and Training team leader Lisa Wangman said.
“The ceremony began and we heard the stories of the award winners in 14 categories, inspiring people, groups, schools and organisations, a testament to the hard work and commitment of Victorian Landcarers.
“After the ceremony, we had a chance to look around the grand surrounds of Government House, including the great dining room, opulent sitting rooms and the billiards room, all full of beautiful antiques and ornate finishes.
“A great day was had by all and we were all so humbled to be considered for awards amongst such inspiring, hardworking and passionate people.”
Bass Coast Landcare commended at awards