Tom Batholomew marked strongly and kicked a goal in the final quarter blitz. N283817

Assistant coach Dylan Clark, coach Ben Soumilas, president Bruce ‘Keyhole’ Clark, captain Dale Lawton and assistant coach Tom Wyatt celebrate the drought breaking premiership victory together on the podium. Z313817

Toby Mahoney soccers a beauty off the ground in the final quarter.

INVERLOCH Kongwak has ended its 31 year premiership drought with a staggering 95 point thumping of Cora Lynn on Saturday at Wonthaggi.
The Cobras, who had won the last three premierships in the Ellinbank league, were renowned for their performances in big games.
But Inverloch-Kongwak were like a well-oiled machine as they meticulously dismantled the reigning champs in a near perfect display of football.
The Sea Eagles won the toss and kicked with the slight breeze to the pool end of the Wonthaggi ground which evidently, would set them up for the rest of the afternoon.
Chris Johnson of the Cobras went straight to league best and fairest Andy Soumilas and the niggle began.
Tom Bartholomew registered the first score of the game with a stray kick for a behind which was followed by an off the ball free kick against Soumilas who seemed to succumb to the early attention from Johnson. A turnover up the ground lead to Tom Hams collecting the ball to set up Clint McCaughan 40 metres out from goal on a slight angle. He kicked truly and the Sea Eagles had their first.
Cora Lynn managed to steal the next clearance and hit up star forward Ryan Gillis who missed to the near side in what was a lacklustre performance by his lofty standards.
This can be attributed to the terrific run with role played by Santo Joma who didn’t let Gillis get more than a metre away at any stage.
After some poor shots on goal early in the quarter Tom Bartholomew managed to intercept a mark close to goal and slot the Sea Eagles’ second major.
Not long after a beautiful tackle from Tom Hams directly in front of goal gifted the Sea Eagles their third and a great piece of roving from Toby Mahoney added a fourth and it was a dream start of IK.
Tom Bartholomew then marked 35 metres out right on the siren to try and nail a fifth for the Sea Eagles but his kick was wide.
This led to an old school melee with every player on the ground flying the flag for their teammates.
This was quickly defused by the umpires and the players jogged to their huddles.
Cora Lynn now had their opportunity with the wind and they needed to make the most of it to claw their way back into the game.
The quarter started pretty slowly with both teams battling for possession without hitting the scoreboard.
That was until the 15 minute mark when the Cobras’ Travis Woodfield marked and goaled to put his team on the board.
Jai Rout then slotted another major for the Cobras and it was game on.
But some undisciplined play from Cora Lynn gifted the Sea Eagles a 50 metre penalty inside the forward half which led to Will Hetherington kicking a beautiful goal from a tight angle to push the lead back out to 19 points.
A great piece of crumbing work from Corey Casey then set up Mahoney for his second goal and the lead stretched further to 25 points at half time.
The third quarter belonged to Toby Mahoney who added another three goals to his tally and firmed his grip on the best on ground medal.
And an off the ball hit on Sea Eagles utility Dylan Clark led to another small melee but the IK players were quick to point the Cobras to the scoreboard on which they were well on top.
Nathan Langley managed to snag a goal for Cora Lynn midway through the third quarter but a late reply from Shem Hawking put to rest any dreams of a Cobra comeback.
The last quarter then became a goal kicking celebration for the Sea Eagles as they added eight more goals to their total to really sink the boot into a dismal Cobras performance.
Adam Cross’s goal in the opening minute of the quarter was a special moment for all Inverloch-Kongwak supporters; a stalwart of the club ‘Crossy’ celebrated his moment on the big stage.
Toby Mahoney filled his bag with seven goals and took out the best on ground medal for the day in a terrific performance.
And the goals just kept flowing as Hawking, Houston and Wyatt all added their names to the goal kickers’ list. Dylan Clark then launched himself to take an absolute screamer deep in the left forward pocket for the Sea Eagles and in bizarre passage of play Clark was awarded a 50 metre penalty to the goal line for a certain goal.
And when young midfielder Corey Casey gave his opponent a little reminder of what had just happened he was thrown to the ground and awarded a free kick directly in front of goal 10 metres out.
The Sea Eagles had received two for one and the Cora Lynn defence looked quite foolish in the process. The siren went not long after and the dream was complete for Inverloch-Kongwak.

More photos from the day in this weeks edition of the South Gippsland Sentinel-Times
To subscribe to our digital edition: