I bought two pot plants in December named ‘Nerium Oleander’, a dwarf variety called ‘Mediterranean Rose.’
A visitor to my house saw the plants and was very concerned because of their toxicity. The rear of the label had a note CAUTION: Harmful if eaten, Respiratory and skin irritant.
I found after some research that all parts of oleander are poisonous, the roots, the bark, the leaves, and the flowers.
Potentially fatal toxicity may occur if the leaves or stems are consumed.
If you’re concerned that your pets could chew on them or young children handle the plants, you should not plant oleanders.
The plants do have attractive flowers and along with other popular poisonous plants are common throughout the world.
Trevor Allan, Kilcunda.
Better safe than sorry