Dalyston ruckman Kurt Thomas appears to have the better of the ruck duel against the Giant’s Guy Chuol but it was when the ball came to ground that the Giants’ onballers had the ascendency. m732018

But one win is not enough for breakthrough Burra-Bena

THE Korumburra-Bena Giants have broken through for their first win of the 2018 season; their first at home since Round 15, 2015 and only their third win in three years.
But after very positive showings against Inverloch-Kongwak and Koo Wee Rup in recent weeks, plus the addition of some quality players, most people saw it coming.
In the first quarter, the Giants were kicking to the scoreboard end of the ground and opened brightly against Dalyston with three quick goals; the first within 30 seconds of the start to Beau Anthony, launching from 40 metres.
Michael Cooke banged through two more at the 3:20 and 5:20 minute marks and it wasn’t until 12 minutes later that Dalyston could respond through Matt Rosendale following good lead up work by a pacy Michael Marotta.
Three goals by Jackson Brooker, and one against the flow of play by Anthony for the Giants had the teams close until Jake McMillan stuck a great tackle on Matt Whittaker and made no mistake from 45 metres out.
In the second quarter, the Giants started to get on top, not only having the edge in general play but also being the one most likely to score with Jamie Cann in particular a good target.
He kicked three for the quarter at the 3:50, 10:40 and 17:30 minute mark and it was getting late, too late for Dalyston when Tylah Osbaldeston pulled one back thanks to some good pressure by Matt Rosendale.
A 50 metre penalty near the end of the quarter and a goal to Brock Dorling made the half time score 10 goals to five.
The Giants were growing in confidence as they took the field after half time and it was soon clear they weren’t about to let this one slip.
Dalyston was being well served around the packs by Michael Marotta, Clay Tait and big Thomas and they had the ball in their scoring zone at the start of the third quarter but the Giants’ defence was superb, denying Dalyston any clear shots at goal and ultimately holding them out while Cann and McMillan early and Rhys Dixon, off the turf with a second attempt, later stretched the lead.
The last quarter started with two quick goals to Dalyston’s Osbaldeston and Rosendale but Ben Fitzpatrick responded and the game was held up for four minutes after Robert Beaton went down in a heavy clash.
The contest resumed and it was all Korumburra-Bena in the run to the line; goals to McMillan, Jeffs and Cann, finishing off with a good ‘team goal’ initiated by Brad Monson, ironically, a former Dalyston junior.
The teams have the bye next week for the interleague clash and then its two games away for the Giants, at Cora Lynn and Garfield; both of which the club feels they are a chance to win.