GIPPSLAND’S dairy community is invited to the final open day of the Fish Creek Focus Farm.
Join Graeme, Jenny and Shaun Cope along with their joint facilitators, Karen Romano and John Mulvany who will lead an exploration of the farm business operations.
GippsDairy regional extension officer Karen Romano encouraged farmers to come along to the event, which promises plenty of insights into important dairy farming issues.
“This has been a great Focus Farm that tackled issues as diverse as pasture management, family transition, split calving patterns, workplace safety and mastitis control,” she said.
“It’s also a fantastic opportunity for farmers to catch up with each other and join a discussion on how the Copes are tackling the difficult first half of 2018.”
The open day program will include:
• A short introduction to the farm, people, system and infrastructure
• A review of the Focus Farms progress towards goals around
– Shaun and Sharna’s transition of cow ownership
– Has stepping up and stepping back happened? What’s the evidence?
– A summary of the Copes’ approach to agronomy: marriage of traditional and Petrik systems
– Discussion of the business decision to split calving and why.
• A review of the physical and financial data during the Focus Farm project (2016-2018)
• Outlook for 2018/19
• Farm walk to view the herd and discuss winter strategies for current seasonal conditions.
The Focus Farm program is jointly supported by GippsDairy and Dairy Australia. The program gives farmers and agribusiness professionals the opportunity to participate in the decision-making processes of a dairy farm business.
Each Focus Farm provides an ongoing demonstration of the value of goal setting within a dairy business and the processes required to achieve these goals.
The open day will be held at 195 Kerrs Road, Fish Creek on Tuesday, June 26, from 10.15am to 2.30pm.
Lunch is provided, so please RSVP to GippsDairy on 5624 3900 or email email@example.com
Final Fish Creek field day coming up