The alert is for the following areas: Dudley, Hicksborough, North Wonthaggi, South Dudley, Wonthaggi and Dalyston. The alert was issued at 1:21 this morning, Wednesday, October 10.
“You will see or smell smoke across parts of Dalyston, Dudley, Hicksborough, North Wonthaggi, South Dudley, Wonthaggi.
“The smoke is from a suspicious fire in a large pile of trees at the Wonthaggi Golf Course and has drifted around the area.
“Firefighters are working to extinguish this fire.
“It may be smoky or hazy in your area.
“There is no immediate threat to the community and no action is required.
“As CFA have a number of fire trucks in the area, be aware of extra vehicles in and around South Dudley Road and the golf course area.”
What you should do:
* Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
* If you have concerns about your health you should seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.
Smoke and your health:
* Some people are more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke. You will be more sensitive to smoke if you have a heart or lung condition (including asthma), are pregnant, or are over 65. Children up to 14 are more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke.
* If you are sensitive to smoke you should limit prolonged or heavy physical activity. Where possible you should try to stay indoors.
* If you have a heart or lung conditions you should take your medication as prescribed by your doctor.
* If you are asthmatic, follow your asthma plan and carry reliever medication with you.
* For more information about smoke and your health visit the Better Health Channel www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au.
This message was issued by Country Fire Authority.
Unless the situation changes, this will be the last smoke message issued.
Use multiple sources to stay informed:
* VicEmergency Hotline – freecall 1800 226 226.
* VicEmergency app.
* Facebook or Twitter.
* Tune in to ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations, or Sky News TV.
More details at http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#!/warning/5036/moreinfo