Bailey Patterson makes an athletic attempt to mark as the Giants work hard to retain the lead in a see-sawing third quarter. m741619

Jye Celebrine of the Giants takes possession of the ball on the outer forward flank, under pressure from his Warragul Industrials opponent. m721619

MAKE no mistake, both Korumburra-Bena and Warragul Industrials saw Saturday’s match at Korumburra as a big chance to break through for a much-needed win early in the season.
And they went at it like their lives depended on it.
But the Dusties simply wouldn’t go away and it was really only the two-goal buffer the Giants established in the first quarter that held up in the end.
The Giants made two changes with Jamie Cann and young Tyler Newton coming in, Newton for his first game in senior football as a bottom age thirds player.
The first goal went to Korumburra, then the Dusties clicked into gear to kick the next two after the Giants’ turnovers.
Towards the end of the quarter, the Giants picked up and two late goals put them in front.
For the second quarter, both sides continued playing attacking football and defences were under pressure.
The Giants quickly settled, using the ball and hitting their targets, three goals being the result.
This could or should have been more, but a late lapse cost a turnover and the Dusties kicked a last-minute goal, Korumburra 14-points up at half time.
In the third quarter especially, the whips were really cracking with the Giants able to maintain possession through the likes of Ben Fitzpatrick, Bailey Paterson, Brad Monson, the other onballers, half backs and with the forwards applying the sort of forward pressure to keep it in that you love to see.
At one stage Jamie Cann outpointed his defender close to goal, took a mark and ran into an open goal for a morale booster.
But each time you thought the Giants had slipped away, the Dusties players race away for what looked to be fast-play-on, easy goals.
The Giants opened the third by kicking the first goal, but turnovers were restraining them, their tackling was also below par.
The Dusties’ cleaner ball handling allowed them to convert into goals.
The Giants hit back, Cann turned his opponent inside out and kicked a momentous goal.
A following free kick gained the Giants a goal to end the quarter, Korumburra ten points up at the final break.
In the last quarter the Giants’ Lucas Dohnt and Tyler Newton combined well in the ruck, helping to get the ball to Ashley Snooks who kicked two goals.
Giants’ defence turned the ball over and the Dusties returned fire.
Ben Fitzpatrick goaled for the Giants, returned once again the Dusties kicked a couple, to be six points down.
The Giants attacked to seal the game with a one-goal breather, they had the ball moving as the final siren blew.
Both sides have the Easter break, the Giants are then away to Inverloch-Kongwak.
The Warragul Industrials are away to Tooradin-Dalmore at Tooradin on Anzac Day.