Tony and Sharon Burns love Halloween and are excited to welcome trick or treaters, albeit socially distanced, this year. Kg234220

By Shelby Brooks

THE HALLOWEEN tradition of trick or treating across regional Victoria has been given the green light this year, provided COVID-safe measures are in place.

The DHHS confirmed to media last week that residents of regional towns could go trick or treating, provided they followed health guidelines and social distancing rules.

That’s great news for Wonthaggi Halloween enthusiasts Sharon and Tony Burns.

They have been a popular stop on children’s maps for trick or treating for the last nine years.

“We’ve been doing it for nine years and didn’t want to disappoint the kids this year,” Sharon said.

They have decided to run a socially distanced and COVID-safe trick or treat house on October 31.

“This year, we’ll have a little gazebo in the front garden and they’ll come in one way and out another way,” Sharon explained.

“It’s all going to be outdoors; we’ll have a hand sanitising station; we’ll have markings on the ground showing people where to stand and wait; we’ll be spacing out the crowds.

“We’ll have someone stationed at the front gate making sure people are social distancing and lollies will be individually wrapped and given out in cellophane bags.”

The Cameron Street home will be clearly visible with lots of spooky decorations and music as well.

“I’ve always loved Halloween,” Sharon said.

“Kids have missed out on so much this year – we have to do it.

“It’s something kids look forward to. And we have as much fun as the kids!”