By Kirra Grimes

AFTER fierce community backlash, a Phillip Island holiday home owner’s controversial wind turbine plan has come to a halt.

Mount Waverley electrical contractor Robert McKittrick, who’d been in the process of constructing a 10.8-metre-tall wind turbine in the backyard of his Surf Beach holiday property, confirmed last week the turbine “hasn’t gone up,” despite the foundations being laid in September.

Mr McKittrick wouldn’t say whether he still planned to follow through with the project, just that he was “sick of the whole thing”.

“No, council didn’t stop me; no one can stop me… it’s not up; that’s all I’m going to say,” he said when contacted for comment last Wednesday.

A Bass Coast Shire Council spokesperson said they’d “taken every measure possible regarding the construction of the wind turbine”, including undertaking an investigation encompassing a detailed review of planning and building requirements, Local Laws and state and federal legislation.

“In addition, council has sought written advice from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and completed a peer review of the proposed engineering drawings.

“We have also entered into discussions with the property owner,” the spokesperson said.

“[DELWP] advised they do not intend to alter any planning controls to prohibit the structure and the Victorian Building Authority advised that a building permit is not required in this case.”

Council also created a detailed FAQ document in response to community members who approached them on the matter and provided this as required.