KILCUNDA Bass has secured their third win of 2021, this time against a Bunyip side trying to secure a finals berth.

Starts have been an issue for the Panthers in 2021, but on Saturday they were ready from the opening bounce.

Early midfield dominance led to some opportunities inside 50, but wayward kicking was costly for the visitors.

Kilcunda Bassí defence was holding up well early on, but they were the first to let a major through, after a set shot was comfortably converted.

But the Panthers responded, kicking the next two goals to secure an eight-point quarter-time lead.

The players were finding it hard to adjust to the boggy conditions at Bunyip, but in the second term the scoring started to flow.

As Kilcunda Bass resumed their midfield supremacy the forwards began to get off the chain, especially Taylor Gibson and Jimmy Phillips.

Gibson, who finished with four majors for the Panthers, was taking plenty of contested grabs up forward and Phillips was using his leap to beat the Bunyip defenders in the air.

Those two and the other Panthers forwards were able to capitalise on many more opportunities in the second term and they kicked six goals straight.

But Bunyip were able to keep them in reaching distance by kicking three goals, keeping the half-time margin at 27-points.

At half-time Kilcunda Bass coach Steve Wright implored his players to replicate their first half efforts in the second half.

And thankfully for him and the Panthers faithful, they continued to crack in hard and move the ball nicely.

Daniel Batson was having a blinder switching between the midfield and half forward, and his goal early in the third term got the Panthers the start they wanted.

Jack Soroczynski, who was sublime across half back once again, added another goal and the Panthers looked primed to break away.

But Bunyip wrestled back the momentum, kicking two of their own to bring the margin back to 28 before the last quarter.

In the final term, Bunyip’s momentum continued, and they were able to bring the game within three goals for a brief period.

Jack Rosenow kicks the game sealing goal for Kilcunda-Bass against Bunyip. Photo: Nici Cahill at Snapshot Photography.

Much to the delight of the travelling fans, Kilcunda Bass was up for the challenge, and when Jack Rosenow slotted a goal through on the run after roving a marking contest, it was game over.

The Panthers would hold on to a 23-point lead, with the win keeping their finals chances ever so slightly alive.

To have any chance of making finals theyíll have to beat Garfield at Garfield next week and Bunyip will be hoping to get back on track with an upset win at Inverloch.