Sam Watson attempted to spoil this one over the boundary line on
Saturday. Photo: Nici Cahill at Snapshot Photography

GARFIELD has held on for a 13-point win over a determined Kilcunda Bass side, to keep a firm grip on sixth spot.

After a good win against Bunyip last week, the Panthers came into the matchup with Garfield feeling confident and it showed in the opening quarter.

Garfield kicked the opening goal, but it didn’t take long for the travelling Panthers to respond with two of their own, getting out to a small lead.

Superstar forward Taylor Gibson was proving to be far too strong for his opponents, and he was well supported by the likes of Jackson Nolan and Jack Rosenow when the ball occasionally spilled in front of him.

Nolan, who finished with four goals for the day, kicked his first of the matchon the run to give the Panthers a two-goal lead.

But the Stars responded in front of their home crowd and kicked three straight goals to get six points ahead at quarter time.

In the second quarter the Panthers rediscovered their early form and quickly regained the lead.

Matija Sigeti was playing well in the ruck once again and midfielder Daniel Batson was reaping the benefits.

His long kicks inside 50 saw the Kilcunda Bass forwards thrive and they booted two quick goals.

And when the ball went down the other end, the visitors defended nicely.

Jayden Nolan led a stubborn backline which only allowed one goal in the second term, giving Kilcunda Bass a two-point lead at half time.

It didn’t take long for Kilcunda Bass to extend their lead in the third quarter, but the Stars were up for the challenge.

They quickly responded and the two sides went back and forth for the rest of the quarter.

The third quarter arm wrestle ended with Garfield three-points in front.

And in the final term they stepped it up to another level.

Two quick goals saw them gain a 19-point lead, leaving the Garfield crowd thinking they were home.

But the Panthers refused to lie down, booting the next two goals to bring it back to seven.

With a comeback looming, up stepped Matt Rennie and Daniel Helmore.

Rennie kicked his fifth goal of the day to extend the lead and then Kilcunda Bass were able to pull it back to seven points with another goal.

But then Helmore took a strong mark, and he kicked his fifth and final goal of the day to finish off the Panthers by 13 points.

A win against Garfield would’ve kept Kilcunda Bass’ very slim finals chances alive but they now have practically no chance.

But they’ll hope to ruffle some feathers this week when they take on Tooradin Dalmore at Bass and Garfield will head down the road to face their traditional rivals in Bunyip.