SOUTH Gippsland Shire has excitedly announced the redeveloped Mirboo North pool will open this month, with free entry over four days from October 30 to November 2.
The pool has undergone extensive redevelopment, which has included remedial work to the main pool and learn-to-swim pool.
Construction has included new wet deck gutters, pool lining and disabled access. The existing toddler’s pool was replaced by a new splash pad, with an assortment of water play features.
A new pavilion with community program room, kiosk, change rooms and family rooms has replaced the existing building.
According to council, there was still a few minor things to be done at the site, but the project is now in its final stage.
Construction completed as of August included:
• Main 25-metre and learn-to-swim pools complete and filled with water.
• Pool plant room complete, pool plant services and equipment in the final stages of commissioning.
• General landscaping works nearing completion.
• Pavilion building complete.
• Stage one car park works underway. Asphalt, line-marking and bollards were expected to be completed by mid-August 2021.
It is expected the new facility will be able to meet the needs of the community for another 50-plus years.
A total of $5.73 million was allocated to the project.
The Mirboo North community raised $1 million to support the project, while the federal government contributed $600,000 and the state government $190,000.
Council funded the remaining project cost.
The pool’s opening will be subject to COVID restrictions at the time.