AN ELECTRICAL fault was the cause of an intense garage fire at Halford Street in Inverloch last week which unfortunately destroyed many valuable possessions.

CFA crews from Inverloch, Wonthaggi and Pound Creek attended the fire on Monday, January 17, around 2.20pm and were on scene for several hours as they battled the blaze.

The contents of the garage, including a classic ‘Sandman’ car, a Harley Davidson motorcycle and valuable pushbikes, were severely damaged as responders arrived.

“It was quite intense because there were two gas barbecue bottles there,” Inverloch CFA Lieutenant Shane Frogley said.

“They were venting and there was also a gas bottle in the car because it was on LPG.”

Mr Frogley said five CFA trucks and 20 volunteers responded to the incident.

“We contained it to the garage itself; there was no other damage to the property,” he said.

The resident of the home is also a CFA member.

Mr Frogley said the fire had left the resident “absolutely gutted”.

“We called fire investigators out and it came down to an old fridge in the shed,” he said.

“They couldn’t identify exactly how it started but the fridge was the cause.”

Mr Frogley said the event was a reminder for residents to always inspect their old appliances and, if possible, upgrade or dispose of them.

Fortunately, there were no injuries and no one was home at the time of the blaze.